How To Study Inside Of Bookkeeper Launch
A lot of students enter the Bookkeeper Launch course without any prior experience with the world of bookkeeping. In saying this, you may be wondering how in the world are you going to retain all of that information? This is a valid concern, but one that can be easily overcome.
After all, it may have been decades since you have had to do any learning so it’s time to retrain your brain, so to speak, and learn how to better retain the information that you are learning.
If you think back to your high school days, you would simply cram for that exam the day before, take the test, and after that just about everything that you would learn would be gone. Obviously, this isn’t a good way to go about things when learning how to be a work-from-home bookkeeper.
Top 10 Study Hacks
You need to learn how to retain what you are learning. Luckily, Ben goes over a list of the 10 things you should do when going through the Bookkeeper Launch course.
- Self Quiz – As you are going through the training, ask yourself specific questions as you watch the videos, or read the transcripts. Any time you think of a question or term that you are not familiar with, write it down. By doing this, it will help to imprint it into your brain. After completing a section of the training, ask yourself what the main ideas are and what is the instructor trying to get across. Any new terms that you do come across, define them in your own words and how they relate to what you already know. Don’t simply highlight or underline important information. It’s important to actually write or type them out.
- Space Out Your Retrieval Practice – Okay, sounds complicated but hear me out, it’s actually pretty simple. You need to revisit the things that you are learning shortly after you run into them to help imprint them into your brain. If you learn something that is new to you go back through it a day or two afterward. Keep the time period short and as you begin to become more familiar with it you can space the amount of time out more. By doing this, you are making connections in your brain and then you can begin to interweave new concepts together as you continue through the training.
- Mnemonics, Rhymes, and Songs – This may be one that you probably learned in grade school. For example, when learning what are the 5 Great Lakes you may have been taught the word HOMES which stands for Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior.
- Free Recall – After you go through a specific training close it out, pull out a blank piece of paper and start writing down everything that was in it. Think of this as more of a brainstorming session. By doing this, you are telling your brain that this is important information and will help you to process that information where it will be more easily accessible. Try to think of specific terms, points, or questions that were brought up.
- Elaborate – In your own words, jot down any details as to what you have just learned. It may be gibberish at times and that’s fine. By doing this you are allowing the information to absorb more easily.
- FlashCards – Write the question on one side and the answer on the other. Use a hole punch and put them on one of those large rings and take them wherever you go so when you have a free minute take the time to quiz yourself by going through them.
- Short Study Sessions – Instead of studying for an hour straight, break it up into 3 20 minutes sessions. Our brains like shorter amounts of time in between studying. Another version of this is to switch up what you’re studying. Spend 20 minutes studying bookkeeping, then marketing, then how to set up your business.
- Sleep – Shoot for 7-8 hours per night. I know this may be difficult for some but your brain needs to be able to shut down.
- Variety – Study at different times of the day and in different locations, if possible. You also have different ways to go through the training. You can watch videos, listen to audio, or read the transcripts. Switch up how you go through the training, or better yet, use all three methods.
- Go Easy On Yourself – Let’s face it, it may have been a really long time since you had to do any sort of learning. In saying that, in a sense, you need to retrain yourself on how to do it. Go with the flow and don’t beat yourself up if you feel frustrated and you’re not understanding something. There is an entire community to help you inside of BL.
Reap The Benefits On The Other Side
Some, or all of the methods, may feel a bit strange to you at first… and that’s a good thing to experience. As you go through the list above choose 1 or 2 to use and then incorporate more as you go. Switch things up.
The good news is that by using these methods, you’re learning curve will be cut way down and you will be amazed by how quickly you will retain the information that you are learning.
Obviously, these aren’t just for going through the Bookkeeper Launch. Feel free to pass them down to your kids as well.
Understand that there is a lot of information to take in, especially if you are brand new to the world of bookkeeping. Be patient, trust in what you are doing and use these techniques to better absorb what you are being taught and before you know it, you will have a wealth of information and a professional understanding of bookkeeping.
Ready to learn more? You need to check out my review of Bookkeeper Launch to get a detailed look at what the course is all about and what you will find on the inside.
After that, you will have the opportunity to sign up for 3 free training videos about what all is involved in bookkeeping and running your very own business.
This is valuable information to help you make an educated decision that you shouldn’t pass up on if this sounds interesting to you. There is no obligation, free means free!
I hope you found these how to study inside of Bookkeeper Launch hacks useful and I hope to see you on the other side to check out my full review of Bookkeeper Launch.
Got something to add? Drop it below and I will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible!