How do you go about learning about how to learn bookkeeping. There are a few different options available to you but there is one way that I highly recommend over all the others.
How To Learn Bookkeeping In 2020
Maybe you are a small business owner looking to tackle doing your books on your own. Maybe you are fresh out of high school and trying to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life.
Or maybe your even looking to start your home business as a bookkeeper. Yes, with technology being what it is, this is more possible than you may think!
So where do you start? What options are available to you to learn how to do bookkeeping? Depending on what your goals may be, stick around until the end to give you my opinion on the best way of doing just that.
Research Bookkeeping Online
Sure, with all the information out there this is definitely an option for you. Is this one way that I would recommend? No way! I say this because there is really no way of knowing if you are missing certain pieces to the bookkeeping puzzle.
It would become very easy to get lost, overwhelmed, confused and even unsure if the information that you are getting is solid and reliable.
Outside of research on how to perform a certain task, I would consider a more reliable and structured method to learn bookkeeping. This would also be an incredible time waste for you trying to constantly track down the right information.
Reading a good book could be a little more reliable method on how to learn bookkeeping. After all, chances are that it would be laid out in an order that would take you through the process.
If you are a small business owner looking to gain a basic understanding on how bookkeeping works, this could be an easy way to accomplish that. However, if you are looking for more, simply reading a book or two is not going to accomplish what you are looking for.
The main issue with this is that you are not getting any hands-on experience. There is no way for you to practice what you are reading.
On top of that, how much of what you are reading are you retaining? It is probably safe to say that you are going to have to read that book many times to even get a firm grasp on how to do it right.
Go To College (Online University)
Chances are if you are looking to learn bookkeeping, this is the method that you are most likely to look into. While there is definitely nothing wrong with a college degree I do think there are some real negatives with this method of learning.
- Price – Have you looked into what it costs to get a college education these days? And it’s not going to get any cheaper either. Depending on whether you are actually attending a college or pursuing it online, you are also looking at housing, school supplies, transportation costs and the list can go on and on.
- Unnecessary Classes – My biggest pet peeve when it comes to college has to be, being forced to take classes that aren’t required to learn your new skill. If you are going to school to learn bookkeeping or accounting why would you have to take a class on 18th Century Europe or Basket Weaving 101?
- Can’t Keep Up… Good Luck! – If you fall behind or don’t fully grasp a certain concept, your professor is not simply going to stop everything until you understand it. Here begins the slippery slope of you falling further and further behind.
- No Certification – Great, now that you have spent 1-4 years earning some type of degree, are you even certified? While you may have learned about Quickbooks or Xero, have you gained your certification in them? Do you have any certifications that says that you are a certified bookkeeper? No? Then what did you spend the last 1 plus years doing?
- Marketing Your Business? – Great, you know how to do bookkeeping but what about marketing your business? Looks like you may have to take on a second major to learn this as well.
Online Bookkeeping Course
Are you still reading? Good! Depending on what your goals and purposes are for learning bookkeeping one of the above ways may work for you. What if you are looking for more?
Maybe you are already a bookkeeper and looking to go out on your own and start your own bookkeeping business. Or, maybe you know nothing about bookkeeping at all but feel like it is something you want to look into or even pursue.
No matter, where you may be or what you may or may not know about bookkeeping, if starting your own bookkeeping business is something that interests you then I am here to tell you, there is a way!
There are many pros to taking this approach:
- Did you know that bookkeeping is the most profitable business out there? This is because it comes with low start-up costs, very low overhead and being paid very well for what you do. There is a way to earn, on average, $60- $80 per hour per client! If you do the math I think you can see the value here.
- Not only will you learn bookkeeping but also learn how to market your business as well. Every single business out needs to have their books done, it’s required by law. I say this because it really isn’t selling, it is simply getting your business in front of the people that are looking for a great bookkeeper. Learn how to do just that.
- Get the certifications that you need to be a legitimate bookkeeper. When you are done, you will have had the opportunity to have gained many different certifications.
- Learn at your own pace. No need to worry about falling behind. If you don’t understand something, know that you have the support in place to get your questions answered immediately.
- Don’t just learn how to be a bookkeeper, but how to be a GREAT bookkeeper. There are tons and tons of bookkeepers out there but there is a massive shortage of amazing bookkeepers. Learn how to add value to your clients which in return will make your business explode.
So what now? What I would like for you to do now is to check out the program that is changing the way to start your own bookkeeping business from the comfort of your own home.
Don’t worry, there is no need to break out your credit card. Simply take a look at what this program is all about and decide if this is something that may be for you.
If not, no harm no foul. In fact, bookkeeping is not for everyone. If you lack the desire to start and run your own business then this probably isn’t for you. But, if I have piqued your interest then you owe it to yourself to check it out.
I promise you that this is the most complete course available. In fact, it is very possible to have your first client before you even finish the course, which is designed to be gone through in just ten weeks!
Hopefully, I will see you on the other side and if you have any questions, drop them below and I will be sure to get them answered as soon as possible.